Asthma occurrence is growing in number and severity.
Hay fever (seasonal allergic rhinitis) is an allergic reaction of the nasal passages and airways to wind-borne pollens that shares many common features with asthma.
The first step in the natural approach to asthma is to reduce the allergic threshold by avoiding airborne and food allergens.
Elimination diets have been somewhat successful in identifying allergens and treating asthma.
A vegan diet can be very effective in reducing asthma symptoms.
Omega-3 fatty acids help relieve asthma.
**MSM and Vitamin C – are, I believe, the most critical nutrients that are lacking in our diets today relative to asthma and allergic conditions
Food additives can trigger allergic reactions and asthma.
Vitamin B6 supplementation is recommended for the treatment of asthma, especially if the asthmatic has to take the drug theophylline.
Antioxidants, especially high doses of vitamin C, are highly recommended for the treatment of asthma.
Magnesium can help open the airways and relieve asthma.
Asthmatics should avoid ordinary table salt.
DHEA levels are typically low in asthmatics.
a. Intestinal parasites.
b. Hypochlorhydria. (low HCL levels in stomach)
c. Heavy metal body burden.
d. Food/environmental sensitivity.
e. Adrenal cortical hypo-function (confirm with salivary adrenal stress index).
f. Adrenal cortical hyper-function (confirm with salivary adrenal stress index).
g. Various nutritional deficiencies.
The effective treatment of asthma requires the consideration and control of many aspects. The following recommendations are:
1. Avoid airborne allergens, and allergy-proof the house.
2. Eliminate food allergens and food additives from the diet.
3. Follow a vegan diet with the possible exception of cold-water fish (salmon, mackerel, herring, halibut, etc.) for their omega-3 fatty acids.
4. Support the body’s anti-allergy mechanisms with vitamin C, other antioxidants, quercetin, vitamin B12, and vitamin B6 and especially MSM.
5. Use asthma medications as prescribed.
Eliminate all food allergens and food additives as best as possible. If you have multiple food allergies, utilize a four-day rotation diet. Consider trying a vegan diet for a minimum of four months to judge if it will help. If you are not allergic to garlic and onions, consume them liberally.
Eliminate all dairy products (except butter), all gluten containing grains, soy products, citrus, potatoes and gelatin (mucous producing foods).
Eliminate all hydrogenated fats and oils. Use only fish oils, extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil as you only sources of oils.
Eliminate all refined carbohydrates.
Increase easily digestable protein and raw/steamed vegetables.
Drink 2 to 3 oz of filtered or distilled water every 30 minutes, while awake, daily (no well water or water containing fluoride or chlorine); more if you are sweating.
Avoid all canned and pre-packaged foods.
1. BIO-MULTI PLUS Iron Free – 1 tablet, 3 times daily after meals.
2. BIO-C PLUS 1000 – 1 tablet, 3 times daily after meals.
3. M S M POWDER – 1/2 teaspoonful 2 to 4 times daily depending on the severity of symptoms. NOTE: Always take MSM with your Vitamin C.
4. BIOMEGA-3 – 4 – 5 capsules, twice daily after meals for 1 month, then 4 – 5 capsules once daily thereafter M – F of the week.
NOTE: The following doses are for adults; for children, divide the dosage in half if they weigh between 50 and 100 pounds. For children under 50 pounds, use one-third the adult dosage. Be sure to determine the contents and source of all Supplements to assure avoidance of any allergens.
Specific Nutrients: When symptoms or condition begins to subside, gradually, as needed, wean yourself from the Specific Nutrients & stay on the Primary Nutrients. If any symptoms re-occur resume taking Specific Nutrients.Note on MSM – be sure to take this nutrient 4 times daily for severe cases and 2 times daily for less severe cases.
5. B6 PHOSPHATE 25MG – 1 to 2 tables twice daily (if on Theophyllin)
6. B12 LOZENGES – Dissolve one lozenge in mouth daily to every other day depending on severity (evaluate for efficacy after six weeks)
7. E-MULSION 200 – 2 capsules once daily after a meal
8. PNEUMA-ZYME – 2 tablets, 3 times daily between meals, if possible.
9. CYTOZYME-AD – 2 tablets, twice daily between meals.
10. HYDRO-ZYME – 2 to 3 tablets after each meal.
11. GSH PLUS – 2 capsules, 3 times daily with meals.
12. MG-ZYME – 4 tablets, once daily at bedtime.
Tylophora asthmatica: 200 mg of tylophora leaves or 40 mg of the dry alcoholic extract twice per day
Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra): (all dosages three times per day) Powdered root: 1-2 gm Fluid extract (1: 1): 2-4 ml Solid (dry powdered) extract (4:1): 250-500 mg