Perhaps the most significant biochemical disturbance noted in people with anxiety and panic attacks is an elevated blood lactate level. There are at least six nutritional factors that may be responsible for elevated lactic acid to pyruvic acid ratio:
4. Deficiency of the B-vitamins niacin, pyridoxine, and thiamin
5. Deficiency of calcium and/or magnesium
6. Food allergens
Kava extract has produced relief from anxiety comparable to drugs like Valium but without some of the side effects.
a. Reactive hypoglycemia.
b. B complex deficiency syndrome.
c. Calcium/magnesium deficiency.
d. Psychological stress.
e. Food allergy/sensitivity.
a. Reduce or eliminate the use of stimulants (especially caffeine)
b. Use kava when appropriate
c. Eliminate all dairy (except butter), gluten-containing grains, refined carbohydrates, caffeine containing foods such as coffee, tea, cola and chocolate and all alcohol.
d. Increase protein (especially from vegetable & fish sources) and raw & fresh foods.
e. Drink at least 2 to 3 oz of filtered or distilled water every 30 minutes while awake (more if you are sweating).
NOTE: If you are currently taking a tranquilizer or anti--depressant, you will need to work with a physician to get off the drug. Stopping the drug on your own can be dangerous; you absolutely must have proper medical supervision.
f. Increase the potassium-to-sodium ratio in your diet
g. Eat regular planned meals in a relaxed environment
h. Control food allergies (SEE FOOD ALLERGY SECTION)
Identify stressors, if possible
Eliminate or reduce sources of stress (see TM below)
Identify negative coping patterns and replace them with positive patterns
Perform a relaxation/breathing exercise for a minimum of five minutes twice daily (SEE ALSO TM BELOW)
Manage your time effectively & enhance your relationships through better communication
Begin an aerobic exercise program to increase oxygenation of the tissues
MOST IMPORTANTLY: Learn the very simple biofeedback technique of Transcendental Meditation (TM)
1.BIO-MULTI PLUS IRON FREE – 1 tablet, 3 times daily after meals.
2. BIO-C PLUS 1000 – 1 tablet, 3 times daily after meals.
3. M S M POWDER - 1/2 teaspoonful 2 to 4 times daily depending on the severity of symptoms. NOTE: Always take MSM with your Vitamin C.
Specific Nutrients: When symptoms begin to subside, gradually, as needed, wean yourself from the Specific Nutrients & stay on the Primary Nutrients. If any symptoms re-occur resume taking Specific Nutrients.
4. A D H S - 1 tablet, once daily with breakfast. When you see some improvement increase to 1 tablet twice daily with breakfast and lunch. If you are still improving then take 2 tablets with breakfast and 1 tablet with lunch. Increase to 2 tablets at breakfast and 2 tablets at lunch. Continue at your optimum dosage for 2 to 3 months, then discontinue.
5. FLAXSEED OIL LIQUID - 1 tablespoon daily with a meal.
6. LI-ZYME FORTE – 2 tablets, 3 times daily with meals.
7. V.H.P. – 1 capsule, 3 times daily with meals & 2 at bedtime.
8. INOSITOL 650mg – 2 tablets, 4 times daily with meals and at bedtime.
Kava (Piper methysticum): 45 to 70 mg of kavalactones three times daily (the dosage of kava preparations is based on the level of kavalactones)
Alternative Medicine Links
Stress Relief Strategies